IIPImage is an advanced high-performance feature-rich image server system for web-based streamed viewing and zooming of ultra high-resolution images. It is designed to be fast and bandwidth-efficient with low processor and memory requirements. The system can comfortably handle gigapixel size images as well as advanced image features such as both 8 and 16 bit depths, CIELAB colorimetric images and scientific imagery such as multispectral images.
Streaming is tile-based, making it possible to view, navigate and zoom in real-time around gigapixel size images that would be impossible to download and manipulate on the local machine. It also makes the system very scalable as the number of image tile downloads will remain the same regardless of the size of the source image.
Source images can be in either TIFF or JPEG2000 format. Whole images or regions within images can also be rapidly and dynamically resized and exported by the server from a single source image without the need to store multiple files in various sizes.
IIPMooViewer with streamed 14400 x 9600 pixel image
See demo page to see some more examples of use. IIPImage is used around the world by a wide variety of users including museums, scientific imaging, astronomy, medical imaging, geographical information systems and many many others. See also our links page for examples or read more about the history of IIPImage.
- Fast lightweight Fast CGI server module that can be embedded in most web servers (Apache, IIS, Lighttpd, MyServer, Nginx etc) or used standalone
- Several clients available – Ajax, flash, java applet etc
- Instant dynamic generation of JPEG overviews or details at any resolution
- Allows easy viewing of extremely large images (gigapixel size) with no significant memory requirements
- One single image source file, not thousands of small separate files
- Standard TIFF-based image format that can be created, read and manipulated by most image processing tools (Photoshop, ImageMagick, GIMP, VIPS etc)
- JPEG2000 support
- 8, 16 or 32 bits per channel image handling
- Greyscale, sRGB and CIE L*a*b* colour spaces
- Multispectral imaging
- Image blending
- Multi-protocol with support for the IIP, Zoomify and DeepZoom protocols
- Dynamic watermarking
- Support for Memcached, a distributed memory object caching system
- Secure image distribution: only JPEG-compressed views of the image are sent to the client. The full-resolution image does not need to be accessible
- Panoramic 3D object image sequences
See the blog for the latest news, tutorials, guest posts and more!
Finding Out More
To find out more, see the documentation. See this overview to help you get started.